8 Best Knee Brace Reviews 2018 – Guide & Comparison
Do you feel pain in your knee joints?
Can't seem to finish a 20 step walk without crying for severe pain in your ligaments? Or are you a sportsperson and you are looking for better way to restore your vitality and strength after an injury?
These are signs that you might need a knee brace or a knee sleeve (one that better suits you) to support your knees. You will find these are not just elastic bandages. These will help you recover from any injury you have had in the past. From ligament dislocation, surgery or a fall.
Every little piece of knowledge you’ll be needing to find the best knee braces for yourself is here in the following article and if knee sleeves better suit you (though the two have a little difference between them), our other article in this very website will perfectly guide you.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
This is the ultimate 4000+word guide that you ever read about knee brace. Here are some of the interesting reads you will get in this guide:
- knee brace on the market.
- Characteristics of a high quality knee brace.
- What to look for when you choosing a knee brace?
- How a knee brace works to secure you from injuries?
- The frequently asked question that every buyer needs answers before they buy a knee brace.
Bracoo Knee Support
Copper Knee Sleeve
COPPER Infused Nylon
S, M, L, XL, XXL
Ipow Knee Sleeve
Mava Sports Knee Support
Bamboo charcoal fiber
S, M, L, XL
CrossFit Knee Brace
Nylon and Spandex
S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL
Our Picks of 8 Knee Brace Reviews 2018
You have it all covered here and written by a professional sport athlete who has been using this equipment for a decade to recover from injuries and knee surgeries.
Now is the time for you grab a cup of coffee and get the details. And before we begin, you may need to have a pen and pencil so that you can jot down your favorite equipment.
Best Choice Knee Brace Support
Best Choice Knee Brace is recommended by top doctors in the country. I wouldn't say that it's the prime knee brace. It also has its own pros and cons...You will discover the in sections ahead.
- Cutting-Edge Heat Neoprene Knee Brace - Lots of improvement and innovation have gone into making this knee brace a better buy. For instance, it prevents natural pain, irritation and facilities quick recovery from a surgery and footbrake.
- Durable - You can do more with this brace. Walk, jog or even ran a marathon. It is durable. It has a 7 inch slip-preventing flexible support that makes sure that that the brace stays on the same place without
- Ebook - When you buy this product, the company gives you a free e-book that contains in-depth information on how to get the most out of the knee brace.
- Breathable Neoprene - The neoprene on this has been improved. It now retains heat and quickens recovery.
- Includes the Following - 3 stretchable wrap-and straps with large Velcro grabs tabs that supports and adjust snugly. Flexible gel padding that reinforces the open kneecap for stability and alleviates pain.
-> Does this brace cut off circulation like other braces?
No. It is a pretty comfortable knee brace. You can use it for the whole day and you will still feel fine even if you have chubby legs.
-> Can anybody wear this knee brace even if they are at low end of the size limits?
Yes, person can wear this knee brace. That is because the Velcro adjustment makes it possible for any person to have a secure snug fit no matter the size.
Perfect knee brace if you are recovering from injury or pain. It provides that ultimate premium comfort and stability.
There is no enough material at the top of the brace. From time to time you may experience pinching and bunching of the strap.
High Performance 7mm Knee Brace for Running
The High Performance Knee Sleeves 7 mm thickness is something that makes this knee brace unique.
It holds the knees snugly and securely. You can make a 1000 jumps but you will not come up tired or have pain
- Provides Safety and Comfort for Your Knees: The new bull strength knee sleeves guarantees maximum durability, safety and comfort. You will benefit from combined metal and physical frame that keeps you safe for maximum performance. You will experience warmth and increased blood flow at the joints which are vital for boosting your strength.
- Made for agile Sportspersons: Regular trainers, advanced weight lifters and beginners. The design will benefit any sportsperson.
- Ergonomic Design: The ergonomic design of the sleeves guarantees secure snug fit. As long as you choose the right size, you won't run into the problem of having loose or tight wrap.
- Quality Robust Knee Sleeves: Here is what one thing I want to emphasize. The knee sleeve made of high quality material. It features double stitching construction that is essentially for lasting performance.
-> How can I know the size of my knees?
Measure you knees using the IAW sizing chart in the knee sleeves pictures.
-> Are they thick or thin?
This sport knee sleeves are flexible and thick. Perfect if you want something that gives more support and stability.
-> Is it possible for me to bend my knees after wearing the brace?
Yes. If you do lots of squats, then your braces my slip down.
I would highly recommend this knee sleeves for any person involved in aggressive sport like football. That is because it is 7mm thick which guarantee you that you will have superior comfort and increased warmth. This knee sleeves would be ideal for the person who wants something that is a little bit thick in their knee.
This is a super flexible thick knee sleeves, however, it is a little bit tight at first. But it takes few times for you to break in.
Ipow 2 Pack Pain Relief Knee Braces for Arthritis
Not all knee braces have Velcro. This Ipow knee brace has one. The purpose of a knee brace having a Velcro, It is to help you adjust and apply the right amount of pressure on the tendon.
- Flexible Slim Insert: The built-in high quality flexible slim insert protects you from damage and relieves your from pain.
- Quality Fabrics: It features high quality fabrics that are breathable promising you the warmth and increased blood flow for strength and stability.
- 2 Adjustable Straps: That provides custom compression and snug fit on the knees. Wearing this knee brace will make you forget the pain and embarrassments that comes with knee pain.
-> Does this come for 1 knee or for two knees?
It is a pair. The pair has two knee sleeves for the two legs.
-> Will I walk or bend normal?
Yes to both question. You will feel much comfortable. You won’t even feel that you are wearing it on your knees.
If you have pain associated with the Patellar tendon, irritation and inflammation. this is the ideal knee knee brace to buy. Ideal you can still get it for sport, if you need that extra protection and support.
I love the knee brace but it slips out from the clip. This is cause by stitching. If you don't mind this little problem, you can still get it.
Bracoo Breathable Hinged Knee Brace
What you will love about the Bracco breathable knee brace is the innovative design technology that guarantees lasting performance.
Each piece of this knee brace is a true story of superior craftsmanship demonstrated by the Bracco Company.
- 3 Adjustable Strap: The company made sure that the product has 3 straps that you can adjust. With three straps, you are guaranteed snug secure fit. You won't experience wobbling or slipping when you are active in sports.
- Extra-Thick Neoprene: Having a thick neoprene means that you have added protection against harm. So play the way you want, skating the way you want, and run whenever you like...but have no worry about having severe injury. That is the essence of extra-thick.
- Moisture Vents: Have you ever had a sweat knee brace? You know how often you feel like you want to get rid of the brace. Well, then this is one of them knee brace. It has lots of moisture vents to keep you comfortable throughout the summer or warm experience.
- Special Features: The knee brace has undergone numerous innovations especially in the patella area. For instance, the open patella relieves stress in the knee area and the reinforced patella support the wrap evenly.
-> Will it roll down when am running or jogging?
No. It stays in place even in aggressive sports that features lots of turning and moving.
If you have sweaty knees or you experience some of sweaty on your knees. It is time to change from your current knee braces to Bracco breathable. People that will benefit from this knee braces are individual who have been through surgery, knee pains, strains and arthritis.
I know it has moisture vents, but it does get a little bit sweaty during the winter. But, the sweat dries out quickly.
CopperJoint Copper acl knee Brace
The advantage of owning CopperJoint copper knee sleeves is that they are built to enhance performance, speed and recovery. The problems that you will find with other knee braces such as odors or slipping.
These are rare problem when you get yourself a pair of Copper Joint copper knee sleeves. They work as advertised.
- Anti-Slip System: Your sleeves will always stay fit no matter the kind of activities that you do-from running, jogging or walking.
- Anti-Odors: Unlike other knee braces, this one does not give off odor smell. You won't offend other in the gym with stench. Thanks to the copper infusion in the knee braces.
- Thermal Stabilizer: This is a high performance breathable fabric that features anti-itching material and offers better ergonomic design on the knees. Rest assured that you can perform with it lots of motion movement without irritation or pain at the knee.
- Moisture Wicking Design: This is a knee brace that you will wear thought the day and night without feeling sweat dripping. That is is because it keeps you dry and comfortable even after extended use.
-> How can I measure to get the right order size?
Amazon has a site that you can use it to get the right measure.
-> Will experience itching with knee sleeves?
No. But you will get some tingling often.
CopperJoint copper knee sleeves are perfect for those people who are involved in aggressive sport such as football.
There is one problem with CopperJoint knee brace. They are tight at the top and bottom. Secondly, they have a 1 knee sleeve. I wish they came with two knee sleeve.
Mava Sports Knee Brace
I looked at this Mava Sports Knee sleeves in my local store and I noticed two things.
The light compression and the fact that they are thin. Making them the ideal knee brace to be used at home or with any person who doesn't participate heavily in sports.
Having said that, you can still use this knee brace for healing and knee rehabilitation.
- Superior Comfort: With this knee brace you experience no stiffness, no itching, so slipping. You are guarantee easy movement and comfort as you make your way around.
- Perfect for Improving Muscular Endurance: Don't let weak knees prevent you from achieving your goals-It doesn't matter if it is jogging, walking or running. You will get ultimate muscular endurance when using this knee brace.
- Light Compression and Warmth Guaranteed: Ultimate compression on the knee joint. The high-quality knit material retains zero heat or sweat. You can now stay throughout the day or night without discomfort.
-> Can this knee brace be worn on salt water?
I have no specific answer for that. If you do lots of paddboard, I think the knee brace would work just fine. Because after you are done you can rinse it.
-> Can I stay with this knee brace longer than 12 hours?
Yes. You can even sleep with it as long as you loosen the bands.
I will recommend this knee braces to person who wants to have the feel of light compression. Or something that they can wear with their leggings....because the knee brace is thin.
Both end of the knee brace are not that longer. I wish the company would have made some few adjustments.
TechWare Pro Compression Knee Brace
The techware pro knee brace has lots of benefit to be desired. I love the slim profile brace; it makes it easy to wear the brace with any tight cloths.
The brace is light and thin to allow the flexion and extension of the leg which aid movements.
The bi-directional support is something that deserves a say. It makes it easy for anyone to adjust the tightness of the left, right, upper and lower straps.
- Unique bi-Directional Support: The knee braces has superior Velcro closures that stabilizes the patella to reduce knee joint when you are having physical activities. This is different compared to others that have straps on one side.
- Open Patella Knee Support: With an open patella design you experience maximum compression and superior support around the tendon areas that are crucial to healing.
- Breathable Moisture Wicking: Rest assured you will be comfortable throughout the day. No sweat building up with the brace. That is because of the uniform compression when having physical activities.
- Comfort and Support: The knee braces relieves you from pain so that you can move from place to place without worry.
-> How can I adjust this knee brace?
You can adjust the middle of the Velcro straps. You can pull it through the opening of the outer straps. That is if you want a small size or have a petite knee.
I like this knee brace. It is thin and light, the bi-directional support and the moisture wicking. If you want my recommendation on which knee brace to buy, the Techware brace is the one.
The knee brace absorbs sweat, which is great. That means sweat does not build up beneath the brace. But some people may find it to be a little bit negative.
Knee Brace for Knee Pain - Meniscus Support
This Arthritis Pain Relief knee brace brings the perfect balance of nylon and spandex material.The two materials add durability, comfort and superior support to your knee.
That is because the knee brace improves the blood flow in swollen areas.
Use the knee brace when you want to heal yourself from all types of chronic pain such as arthritis, ACL and meniscus tears.
- It is a Healing Knee Brace: This knee brace facilitates blood circulation and prevents small movement which can deter recovery.
- Prevents Your Knees for Sores: The knee brace is meant to provide you with superior support to the ligaments-ACL, PCL, MCL and LCL.
- Curbs Pain: With this knee brace comes the gentle compression that reduce the pain.
- Light and Durable: The material used to make the knee brace is nylon and spandex, which are light and durable. It is a knee brace that made for lasting performance for continuous use.
-> What is the purpose of knee brace?
It is a medical aid that you put on the knee to help support the joint. On many occasion you will need because of lack of stability or strength.
-> Will it weaken my muscles when I wear it?
No. That is a common myth. A knee brace is supposed to help one recovery from injury or relief from pain. It is also used to prevent injuries from happening in aggressive sports that involves lots of turning and moving.
-> Is there a difference between a knee brace and elastic bandage?
Absolutely. With a brace you have more support than an elastic bandage, which is flexible. An elastic bandage doesn't provide enough mechanical support and stability that a knee brace provides.
-> It is okay to sleep with my knee brace on my bed?
Yes. But first you need to loosen the bands so that you don't run into the risk of blood vessel pinching themselves.
The knee brace provides a snug fit to the knee, you can wear anything it with and you will still feel comfortable.
I love the fit of the knee brace. But I have problem with the diameter, it doesn't increase to accommodate the calf and the thigh.
Factors to be Consider When Buying a Best Knee Brace
Categories of Knee Braces
If you don't know lots of information about knee braces, it is easy to think that any brace can be fit for your situation.
They are four different types of knee braces that serve different purposes. Here are the common types of knee braces:
- Prophylactic: Prophylactic knee braces are perfect for sportsmen and women, who are suffering or recovering from an injury. Common injury that prophylactic knee braces solves includes: anterior cruciate ligament tear, posterior cruciate ligament tear or lateral ligament tear. Most physiotherapist use the prophylactic knee braces to help their patient recover from injuries or reduce pain.
- Functionality: Sometimes, you want to buy a knee brace according to the function it can perform. This type of knee braces are used by people who have gone through severe surgery or healing process. They come various forms and are mostly prescribed by the doctor.
- Rehabilitative: Perfect for patient who are undergoing the post-surgery recovery. They have liners made of foam that surround the calf, knee and thigh area. This type of knee braces is usually used with caution. It is recommended that a patient use this knee brace six to eight weeks after surgery. Continuous use may slow down recovery.
- Unloaded and Offloaded: Sometimes the knee pain may become chronic and most professional doctors recommend that you use the unloaded or offloaded knee brace. If you are suffering from Arthritis, this would be the perfect knee brace for you.
The Size of the Knee Brace
They are different brands of knee braces on the market made by different manufacturer. What you need to know is that not all of them have the same size.
For that reason, it is vital for you to measure the knee area. Otherwise, if you buy a tight knee brace, it may increase blood flow and lead to discomfort.
At the same time a loose one will pull the joints and cause muscle damage. You need to make sure that the knee brace is snug on your knee.
They are two style considerations for the knee brace. You can either go for slip on or wraparound. Wraparound knee braces are usually placed in in front of or behind the knee and it is adjusted with the brace's Velcro straps.
The slid on knee brace slid on the knee. It places your tout through the brace’s opening and pulling up.
Care and Maintenance
If you are buying a knee brace, either for medical or sport reasons, you need to be prepared to care for it. You will need to clean a knee brace regularly. A damage knee brace is hard to repair and it can cause more harm than good to your knee.
Close or Open Patella
They can either be close or open. An open patella knee brace will give your knee additional support. Before you get your cash on one of these it is good, you know these factors so that you choose the right knee brace.
Advantages of Knee Braces?
It is hard to ignore a knee brace, especially if you have suffered an injury, sport mishap, fall or after medication. A knee brace can play several roles on your knees depending on what is used for. Here are the advantages of knee braces:
- Decrease Additional Injuries: Sportsperson who do high impact or aggressive sport like biking, skating, footballer, motor racing or sky diving...Use the knee braces to decrease additional injuries that they may occur during the events. The device is designed to impact shock from the any knee so that it does not affect the joints and ligaments.
- Relieves Pain After Medication: Most sportsperson and patients will need a knee brace after surgery on the knees. In this situation, the knee brace prevents or cushions your knee from pain. It also helps the patient's knees recover quickly. What the knee does is to limit the range of motions.
- Superior Support and Stability: If you have experience damage in the ligaments especially after strenuous sports, it can be difficult for the ligaments to be stable. Your movement can be hampered. That means, you find difficult running, walking and jumping. Knee brace are bought for two types of support. The soft support or the rigid support. Before getting a knee brace, first you need to know the kind of support you want this device to give you. The rigid support knee brace is meant to provide a solid firm support against impact damage. The soft support knee brace is made of bioskin material that provides high level of compression. The one person that can tell you the kind of support you need is a physician.
- Manages Inflammation: When you have experienced injury or accident in the knee, there is inflammation. And inflammation can cause pain on the ligaments which can hamper your mobility or movements. The right way to prevent this inflammation from happening is to wear a knee brace. A compression by ice may work, but a knee brace may make you recover faster.
- Enhances Performances in Support: Knee braces are used in training. They enhance performance as they give the sports man superior support.They do this by preventing the side to side motions to prevent dislocation of the tendon or ligaments.In short, you use it sports if you want to prevent improper movements.
- Helps ACL, MCL and LCL Reconstruction: When you are hurt or you have been through surgery, what you need most is the ACL, MCL or LCL to recover fast and back to their position.And a knee brace make it possible for these three vital parts of the knee to reconstruct and recovery quickly. Because any tear of these vital parts, it can lead to serious medical defects on your knees.These are few benefits of using a top knee brace. What is important is for you to seek medical advice before proceeding to get one.
What Makes a Good Knee Brace
A good knee brace will have certain characteristics that make it unique. Over the past, I had a chance to wear knee brace for 18 months that was when I was playing volleyball.
I have discovered that a good knee brace will have the following characteristics or property that makes standout.
- Adjustable Straps: An excellent knee brace will have adjustable strap that promotes better comfort and prevent slipping. It is common to find knee braces that have two or even more straps that guarantee you secure custom fit. Some companies will make Velcro strap that offers lots of support and compression to the knees. If you can get a knee brace with Velcro strap, take it. Because, the Velcro strap provides unique bi-directional support which helps to stabilize the patella.
- Breathable Material: You will want to go for something that does not build up sweat. Lots of sweat around the knee can make you feel uncomfortable. You cannot even think about sleep with a knee brace when you have this sweat dripping out.
- Ergonomic Design: You want something that holds your knee perfect. No tight to prevent blood vessels from flowing or causing an itching effect. Before you get one for yourself, check out the ergonomic design of the knee brace. It should prevent anti-slipping and no itching.
- Anti-Odour: No one wants to offend others in the gym or during their training.For that reason, a knee brace which is washable is good great buy. Check out the knee brace that you are buying, does it promotes smell or inhibit.After you have done your regular jogging, it is good to wash your knee brace so that it remains ultra-clean and safe to be used the next time.
- Thin and Light: Not everyone would want a thin and light knee brace. Some people would want lots of compression on their knee.Personally, I love a knee brace that is thin and light because it allows leg flexion and extension and also it promotes light compression. A thick knee brace is great, but seek medical advice before buying a thick knee brace.With a thin and light knee brace you can wear anything behind the knee. It can be a leggings or any kind of stocking and nobody will ever know you have one.
- Durability: If you are not sportsman and you are using your knee brace 2 or 3 times a week, then you would stay with it for 6 to 18 months.But if you do aggressive sports and lots of training, you will need to wear a knee brace regularly and replace it often.Now before you get a new set of knee brace, you need to know first, what kind of brace you are looking for. Is it the one with more straps?Or do i want something that is sport in nature. You need to assess your needs before you buy one of them. To help you have a smooth buying process, make sure that the one you have bought has the above characteristics of a knee brace.
How Do They Work?
Knee braces are designed to give your leg a superior support to curb injuries and pain. Still, you can use it to prevent injuries. For that reason, they are made from various combination of metal, foam, plastic, elastic material and straps. The question is....Do they work?
Many companies that manufacture this medical equipment claims that they work. But there is not scientific proof on how this medical devices work. In fact, most scientists disagree on whether this equipment work or not.
Bottom line, it is not that clear. But here is what we know.... Braces work better in laboratory than they do in the normal use. Functional braces, rehabilitative braces and unloaded braces are the effective.
Most people will benefit from using braces....others, even if they have them; they may not beneficial to them. It short, it varies from one person to another. It may help one person and fail to help another person with the same problem.
Still others have various feeling about it...they think wearing knee braces may increase the number of injuries during sport training.
When do You Need a Knee Brace?
People start thinking of about knee braces the moment they have a knee problem. Knee problem are not the same. That is why it is vital to seek a doctor's advice before you buy any knee braces.
The doctor has to examine your situations....then he or she will tell you what kind of knee braces to get for your leg. If you are a sports persons know that knee braces may not work well to prevent injuries.
Types of Braces and the Role They Play on Your Knee
- Hinge Brace: It is designed to prevent excessive valgus or Varus left or right motion. Which sprains in the ligaments of the knee.They tend to have a rigid bar aligned inside or outside the knee that function as a secondary stabilizer.Hinge braces come in various versions. For instance, we have some that have a lock mechanism that protects the knee from extreme bent or straight position.Hinge brace are found in any health supply store aren't reliable. You need to order one from a qualified physician, who then will advise you on how to use the device.
- ACL Brace: The word ACL is an abbreviation for anterior cruciate ligaments. That is where the name ACL braces comes from.These braces are used when you want to prevent the lower leg from sliding forward on the femur or extreme rotation happening at in the knee.Personally, I have benefited from knee brace in the past. As a sportsman, they have helped me a lot during my training.Knee braces are not equipment that needs to be taken lightly, you need to consult a doctor before you get one for yourself. Or you might also like to check out for some of the leading knee pads if you want to ease your knees while working. Not everyone will benefit from a knee brace...as you have seen there are many conflicting ideas on how they actually work.
Right now you understand what is important when it comes to choosing the best knee brace. For the past decade in my profession I had a chance to use these braces. I have both good and bad experiences.
Like any product in the market, there is no a perfect product. It will always have some cons in it. But still you have to get it and use it. Only then will you appreciate its use. The question is...do you still want to be in pain or do you want to recovery quickly. Head on to Amazon right now and get yourself a pain of knee brace.